CFP: Journal of Electronic Publishing special issue on audiobooks
Deadline: 18 October 2019
The Journal of Electronic Publishing (JEP) invites submissions to a special issue on audiobooks.
Topics may include, but are not limited to:
- Production: audiobooks in publishing workflows, the rise of audiobook-only publishers, rights management.
- Consumption: demographic analysis, usage patterns, divergence between ebook and audiobook consumption.
- The economics of audiobooks: subscription services, infrastructure costs, pricing models.
- Materiality: formats, standard bodies (e.g. W3C/DAISY), media choices (CD/cassette/MP3).
- History: precursors to audiobooks, forgotten/alternate histories and media archaeologies.
- Geography: variation of uptake across nations, licensing/rights, audiobooks in non-Anglophone contexts
- Accessibility and inclusivity: text-to-speech engines as audiobooks, libraries for print-disabled users, representation through narration.
- Genre: adoption of audiobooks by genre, born-audio publications, interactive audiobook publishing.
Since JEP is an online-only publication, while 6,000-8,000 words is recommended, we are open to longer or shorter form submissions if it benefits the piece.
JEP is a gold open access journal with no Article Processing Charge (APC).